Thursday, November 11, 2010

DIY Photo Style

After out in mid day sun with the Shaw family I realized how much I hate direct, harsh sunlight but sometimes you have to make it work. I feel like I should have made it work better last Saturday and have been searching ways to help while being an amateur. On Sunday the Holcomb family asked me to do some pictures around 10am and it is supposed to be sunny... again. I went out with Jaxson today to experiment right at ten and it was a harsh light disaster! With some searching I found that you need this giant contraption that shields the people from the sunlight, which could be cheaply homemade but wouldn't be easy to set up or move around. So with more searching, and some of Dave's expert googling skills we found a $12 alternative that was very easy to put together.

All we needed was a piece of Ripstop Nylon, and an embroidery loop in the largest size we could find. We found everything at JoAnn Fabric store. Then you just tighten then fabric into the loop, trim down the edges and your done! I made Dave be my guinea pig next to the hall light. So, don't be expecting great pictures here but you can notice what a big difference the diffuser makes. It isn't that large and won't work in every situation but if it helps even in some of my pictures it was worth the $12 bucks. And for anyone who knows me knows I am not a do-it-yourselfer at all so if I can do it you definitely can too. Jennie... you may love to have one of these handy little jobbers..

Without my diffuser in front of the light.

 With the diffuser. It is still bright but the harsh shadows on his forehead and cheeks are gone. And apparently he thinks the diffuser is really scary since he looks like he just saw a ghost. haha...

And here ladies and gentleman, is my pride and joy. And I saw so many DIY tips on making all things photography that I am feeling the need to make a DIY studio in the basement. I know that probably will never happen but I totally know how after watching youtube videos the entire time Jaxson was napping today. :)

2 comments:

Jennie Peakin said...

Hmmmm...you may have inspired me! Although, I feel like I would need an assistant to hold it for me during my shoots. Reason #847 why you should move here and we can make this business a partnership and be each others assistants! :)

JamieLynne said...

So true Jennie! I got the oval one so when I hold it up it will extend further. I was considering a long extension for it but thought I would start with this. I just will not be zooming in a ton if I am using it. Or if I am doing just the kids I will enlist mom or dad to help with the diffuser. It isn't super easy to hold it myself but I think I will be able to do it if really needed. My arm will just be really tired, it will be a good workout.

Contributors