Thursday, June 16, 2011

Kitchen Kreation

Our house isn't small, isn't big. It is just right for the size of our family. Three bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, living room and finished basement. As most people would probably say, I wish there was more room for storage but we get by. The one big disadvantage of this house is the lack of a dishwasher. I have tried every angle on Dave and he always has the same answer. There just isn't room.

Besides the time I spent at Carol and Paul's during college I have never had a dishwasher. Then I mentioned it to my dad who came up with a few ideas to make something work. From that it evolved into a complete kitchen remodel. Drywall work, moving cabinets, more cabinets, counter tops. The whole thing. Good thing Dave can do these things on his own and if needed my dad and his are skilled carpenters. Dave always does it right and it always looks great when it's done, but he sure is cranky while working on it. With any project it is inevitable to have nothing go wrong. When building the bulkhead that had to be extended, he got it perfectly level and square, held it up on the ceiling to check fit and it fell. Broken pieces, split wood, and definitely not perfect square anymore. This caused meltdown number one of the project. There have been many since when a stud isn't where it should be, the drill doesn't doesn't work, the directions don't make sense, or you don't have the correct drill bit. (See, I do soak in quite a bit of man talk!) The top section is done, the bottom, and more difficult section, is yet to come. I am sure that he is regretting getting started but once it is done I am sure he will gladly trade in the rubber gloves and scrub pad for a brand new dishwasher. Although it may take awhile...

Pictures to come. Nobody wants to see that mess right now!

No comments:

Contributors