Monday, February 7, 2011

Complete and Absolute FREAK OUT!

Jaxson had a complete meltdown tonight in the bath tub. Usually bath day is Sunday so maybe having a bath on a Monday night threw him off but whoa...

So we filled up the water and it was a little warm so we cooled it off while getting him ready to get in the tub. As soon as he put his feet in the water some little fuzzies that were on the bottom of his feet from his socks went into the water. He was wearing navy socks so they were dark fuzzies. And he freaked out! I mean, scream bloody murder like he got a part in the next scream sequel. Wow! At first I had no idea what he was freaking out about, I thought the water was too hot but I kept checking it and it was totally fine. Then he pointed as one got closer and literally tried to climb up the side of the wall yelling mommy! mommy! I was able to most of them but even the two that I couldn't get he kept his eyes glued to the fuzzy and would not stop crying. So we did soap and shampoo quickly and got him out. He never even sat down or stopped crying the entire time. When he takes off his socks, which is rare because he is constant that he must have socks on, the first thing he will do is try to get all the fuzzies off, but he has never acted scared of them. He is now tucked in bed and I am going to see what to do when they a toddler is really scared of something. Do you protect them from it all the time?? Do you make them face their fears to try to encourage them to overcome it?? I feel ridiculous that I am talking about overcoming a fear of sock fuzzies in bathwater. And I thought his first fear would be something common like scared of the dark say.. guess not!
 

2 comments:

mimi said...

hysterical! sounds like he has a little more of uncle dan in him than we thought! haha!

Strawberry Momma said...

I wonder if being in the water made them look like they were moving on their own? Like they were spiders or something. They also probably looked different from when they were on his feet, because they were wet.

Ro insists on cleaning the fuzzies off his toes before his shower (I don't like giving baths, so my kids have taken showers since they could stand) so we have never had a reaction like that. I would make it part of the "getting ready for bath" process. Take off your shirt, take off your socks, clean your toes, take off your pants, etc.

Everyone has their quirks (Finn has to wear his socks inside out) and you just figure out a way to add it to a routine, so it doesn't become a focus.

Contributors