Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mr. FixIt

Dave is a handyman when it comes to most things. Cars are not one of them. He knows how to change tires, change oil, but that doesn't actually mean that he has actually done it ever before. So when my air conditioner broke I never imagined Dave being the one to fix it. We took it to Aamco for a free estimate and they told us it would be a whopping $1000. Luckily it was the end of summer and the heat still worked. Now that it has been hot lately I have noticed my lack of air. He was searching online and found a website with step by step instructions to fix this problem the unconventional but very CHEAP way. When he told me about it I was hestitant. "You wanted to cut a hole into the bottom of my dashboard and do what, are you crazy???" was pretty much my reaction. But because I don't want to throw away money in a car that is nearly 15 years old I told him to go for it. I figured, he can't break what is already broken. Today he brought home the ten dollar part and the 20 page printed directions and went to work. He said it would take him an hour, which mean that it would take considerably longer than that. He isn't very good at estimating how quickly he will fix something. About 4 1/2 hours later he came in looking proud and asked me to come out and turn on the car with him to see if it worked. We brought Jaxson, turned on the car and cranked on the AC. In just a minute we could feel the cool air filling up the car. Aaaahh.... no more 455 style air conditioner anymore. (4 windows down, going 55mph)

2 comments:

Auntie C said...

HERO HERO HERO
AIRMAN, AIRMAN AIRMAN!!!
JAMIE..YOU ARE A LUCKY WOMAN!

mimi said...

Very cool. Goooo, Dave!

Contributors