Before I was pregnant then a mom I was a dog parent. We have our two pups, Niley and Bandana, and I was a great dog mom. We would go on long walks, sometimes for an hour or more, almost everyday, to the farmers markets, dog parks, even to the Iowa Cubs game during the Dog Days of summer events. Since being a mom to Jaxson I have been slacking. Slacking probably not even good enough. I have been bad. I can count how many walks we have been on.... on ONE hand, and can't even count how many times we have been to the farmers market or dog park on my hands because the number is zero. Today they went for their comprehensive exams at the vet and not only am I lacking in the activities I have slacked in the health department. Bandana has gained 12lbs, and Niley has gained 17lbs. SEVENTEEN POUNDS. I knew they were gaining a little bit but I wasn't expecting that! At all! So, if we choose to spend the moola on it, they have a prescription for dog food that is just as filling but is half the calories. You have to show your prescription card to checkout with it. We will try something on our own first, aka, less expensive. Even though I felt bad I DID NOT give them any treats when we got home. Instead I gave them some love, and each got a bath. (it's been a while, they NEEDED it). I am sure they would have preferred just a cookie.
I need to stop being a bad dog mom so I am going to attempt a walk at least twice a week. That doesn't seem great considering their previous glory days of daily walks. I also am going to try to do one public thing with each of them each week. My plan is not taking them both at the same time because I can't do a stoller and two dogs even if I have them on the double leash. So one dog can go to the farmers market, and the other dog can go to one of Dave's softball games, or maybe just a trip to pet smart. I am also going to get back in the groove of training them. Their brains need some stimulation. Maybe if Bandana uses his brain it will wear him out a little bit. yah, I know, wishful thinking.
I hope by writing this, and thinking someone will read it, will make me feel as if I have to do it. Because I should really be a better dog mom. Starting today! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment