Sunday, April 24, 2011

Asher News



Asher is growing and changing so much already. It's hard for me to believe he is only 6 weeks old. My time with him has really flown by. I am so sad that tomorrow morning is our last Monday of just cuddling together, by next week I will be back to work on Monday morning. So so sad. :(

One big change he has made starting last Saturday is he ditched newborn clothes and is now fitting very snugly in 3 month outfits. I realized when I was struggling to put a 0-3month onesie over his head that it would be much easier if I just put on a 3 month. I grabbed one and it seemed so huge. I put it on anyway, and it fit. And fit perfectly. Almost too perfectly, as in he will be growing out of them too quickly already. I can't believe it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since Asher weighed in at 12.7lbs two weeks ago, and Jaxson weighed 14lbs at his 4 month appointment. Jaxson always wore clothes right at the time he should, if not wore them longer than expected. For instance he still wears many 18 month pants with 2T still be somewhat large on him.  So all of my tiny newborn clothes are done. He didn't wear them long but he did get to wear them all. With Jaxson I feel like most of maternity leave we cuddled in the house together and he just was in a diaper since it was July. With Asher we were out and about much sooner and therefore required him to be dressed. And many days he required several outfits. Just how life is with a baby I guess.

A nice change is the last two nights he slept through the night!! :D On Friday night he went down at 11pm and woke up at 7:23. I remember the time exactly because I woke up and it was so bright in the room. I grabbed the phone and almost jumped out of bed and did a happy dance when I saw what time it was. I was so happy. After I changed him and fed him I was in such a good mood. I got out of bed and looked out the window at the neighbors tree. Even had enough energy at 8am to go take pictures of it! (you can see my post down a little) It has been almost 7 weeks since I have slept that long in a row. So refreshing. Then he did it again last night. From his last feeding at 11pm and woke up at 6:50. He stirred at 6:15 but fell back to sleep until 6:50. I am just hoping this trend sticks around. FOREVER!

Asher is so different than Jaxson in so many ways. The most noted is that he is so fussy when he is tired. I mean very fussy. Jaxson, if he was tired, I could nurse him and he would instantly be asleep. Asher gets even more upset if I try to nurse him when he is over tired. But I realized I had The Happiest Baby on the Block book here and read a few chapters about the 5s's. Swaddle, Swing (shake), Suck, Side, and Shh. If I do all of these, especially the Swing or shake he will fall asleep so quickly. It is so nice to have realized what soothes him because for awhile I was beginning to wonder what was wrong with my precious baby. As many parents do they would just chop it up to be 'colic', the mysterious ailment that babies get but nobody can explain. For Asher that wasn't it at all. And after reading that book I realized that for many babies it isn't colic, it's just that they are over stimulated and if you simulate what it was like before they were born they will calm right down. It is amazing that once I do all 5 of the S's, he would calm down almost instantly and fall right asleep. Thank you Happiest Baby on the Block for giving back my sanity. :)

No comments:

Contributors