Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Call Kirk Ferentz...

... because we may have a linebacker on our hands. Today Asher and I went to the Mommy and Me Breastfeeding class. Mercy has a great lactation group, even winning recent awards that only 200 hospitals in the nation have received in helping new moms breastfeed and making it a priority. It is an informal group of women and their babies and the lactation consultants are they to answer questions and give you hands on help. I had some questions for them that they couldn't really answer over the phone so Asher and I went for the class. It was full of women and babies, all mostly under 6 weeks. Many of the women had been before. And guess who's baby was the biggest? Asher! He was the biggest baby there, even though some of the babies were older than him. And he had about two pounds on all the babies there, the second largest being 10.3lbs. One of the neatest things they do at the class is weigh your baby before and after they nurse so you can know how much they are getting at a feeding. I made sure Asher was a hungry boy when we went and ready to eat. I got him stripped down to his diaper and had him weighed. On their scaled he weighed at 12.01, a little different the at the doctors yesterday, but probably just the difference in the scales. We sat down next to a nice lady named Amy, and her little girl Phoebe. She was born on 3.8.11 so Phoebe and Asher probably shared the nursery at some point. Both babies ate well as we chatted. It was nice because some of the questions Amy had I hadn't thought of, and learned alot from. I was pleasantly surprised that I got alot of new information today. After Asher was done eating we got him weighed again to find out how much he ate for lunch.

He ate 5.866 ounces and weighed 12.7 ounces after his meal. Wowzers! 

All the nurses and moms were pretty impressed. He had the biggest meal of all the babies there, mostly were between 2-3oz and a few with around 4 ounces (which is generally quite a bit!) I had never done that with Jaxson so really had no idea what to expect but I was surprised and impressed once I heard how much the other babies had eaten. The class was reassuring getting to really see just how much he was eating. I know nobody reading this is a new mom but if you are in the future I would totally recommend going to the Mommy and Me class if you are nursing!! I will definitely be going again since they will have one more class before I return to work.

All Dave heard when I told him how the class went was... Oh Yah, my future Hawkeye football player... 

No comments:

Contributors